have you ever heard the earth sing?
ryder has. (me too, more than a few times, shoreline, cal expo, vegas, eugene and so on....but that's another story.)
ryder hears the chord the wind makes as it strikes the the tall tree branches. he watches as it moves through the leaves like the strings on a harp. tap tap tap.....he keeps time with the stick he's collected as we walk. "do you hear it mama? what's that sound?"
"nature's symphony" i reply.
he continues down the street. shake wiggle shake.....skip skip...stop. walk walk walk....runnnnnnning......stop. listen to the rain water as it runs down the street and splashes into the rain gutters....."there it goes -- out to the ocean and to the starfish on the beach, she's red".
his body moves and grooves around each corner...."oh look, look at all the wishes mama!
(a multitude of dandelions in a bunch) ahhhh they are snuggling" running with a sideways hop-hop....giggle giggle. tap-click-click-rattle and roll go the rocks that we kick down the street. whiz blow the pinwheels, d-d-da-da-da-da-da- the helicopter overhead joins in the jam....vrrooom rev the starting cars like a slide guitar. the birds chime in like the high-pitched sounds of the triangle.as we round the corner close to home....the music fades....
his 3 year old free-form groove slows to a walk.walk.stop.
walks with the little dude...best concert i've ever been to.
...sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own...
6 comments:
love the last line..
i liked your last line "walks with Ryders the best concerts i've ever had" not the Grateful Dead's line just to be clear :)
"Look at all the wishes, Mama" reminds me of a lovely poem that I read once on a Metro bus, which I now carry in my wallet:
I keep a dandellion in full fluff
protecting it from breezes
and my clumsiness
having not yet found
the perfect wish.
-- Vivian Alcantara
Strangely, as I got the piece of paper out of my wallet, I found that the second poem I carry around also reminds me of Ryder's "hearing":
She is fifteen but amazed
when I sign to her
that the sund cannot be heard
even on its brightest days.
--Nicki Blake (Metro Bus 2000)
Sorry, third line on poem of last comment should read "SUN"
thanks for sharing those ally, makes me feel connected in my experience.
Post a Comment